We are delighted beyond words to announce that the Jane Addams Papers has received two major grants.
The National Historical Publications and Records Commission awarded us $160,000 in support for 2022-2023. The NHPRC’s program in Publishing Historical Records in Collaborative Editions has been a stalwart supporter of the Project and has published many papers projects that document the lives of women. Funds from this grant help support the salaries of editors working on the Jane Addams Digital Edition.
The National Endowment for the Humanities awarded us a three-year $300,000 grant (2022-2025). The NEH’s program in Scholarly Editing aids in the publication of the Selected Papers of Jane Addams as well as our work on the digital edition. The NEH’s support for historical editions has enriched the study of our nation’s heritage tremendously.
A Challenge: How You Can Help
Our new NEH Grant offers a way for you to help power the Addams Papers. The NEH will provide us with an additional $150,000 in matching funds if we can raise $150,000 from private sources. These much needed funds are needed to support the salaries of our student workers, research costs, and the editorial salaries that aren’t covered by the NEH and NHPRC.
We are currently short-staffed, with fewer student assistants than usual. Your support will ensure that we meet our goals for 2022-2023:
- Entering over 1,000 new Addams documents with descriptive metadata in the Jane Addams Digital Edition.
- Transcribing over 1,000 new Addams documents for the digital edition.
- Proofreading student work to ensure quality before publication.
- Submitting Volume 4 of the Selected Papers of Jane Addams to the University of Illinois Press.
- Continuing research on Volume 5 of the Selected Papers of Jane Addams.
- Working with high school teachers to develop AP resources.
- Researching and writing biographies and descriptions of the people, organizations, events and publications mentioned in the Jane Addams Digital Edition.
Thanks for your support!